Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Blue Fin Tuna - Fishing Report – September 21, 2009






Once again, we went on a blue fin tuna trip to the same place in Plymouth, MA with Capt. Jim's "On Time". We had 12-15 mph winds out at sea, but the weather was still beautiful. Upon arrival to our first spot, we anchored down with a bunch of other boats. We used live bunker for bait.

I used my rig with a green flash. As I dropped my rig down about 20 feet into the water, a huge tuna jumped right in front of me, and bolted away in a straight line for about 200 yards. After a few seconds, the line snapped. It must have been a huge and tough one.

I tried again using the same equipment. After a few minutes, I hooked another, and at the same time, a second angler hooked one as well. The latter tuna was presumed to weigh only about 120 lbs, so we let it go. Instead, we decided to keep the tuna that I caught, as it weighed 170 lbs. It was a long and cumbersome fight, taking about 1 hour and 40 minutes.

After this successful catch, we moved on to a cod fishing area, where we caught 30 cod (weighing up to 30 lbs), 15 haddock, and a bunch of casks.

We returned a little early after a day of good fishing.

Mike

No comments: